Turbocharger Facts
Free Software
TF Electronics


Toyota GT86 V6


When I first saw a picture of the GT86 years ago I wanted one. That was until I found that they planned to fit a Subaru engine. I was horrified that Toyota could do this. I then decided to buy one and fix it, by fitting a Lexus V6 engine and twin GTX2860R turbochargers.

The Lexus V6 is the 2GR-FSE from the Lexus IS350. This engine is much lighter then some of the other conversions I have seen, using V8 engines and inline sixes. The engine at first was stroked and bored to make it 4L. This is the engine build
4L 2GR-FSE engine build Later the engine was destroked to 3.6L

The 2GR-FSE is direct injection with port injectors.. The direct injection was not used. Bosch EV14 1000 cc Injectors were used in the ports.

Gearbox used was the RA62 six speed from the Lexus IS250.

Finished weight 1360 Kg. Front: 780 Kg Rear: 580 Kg.


The 3.6L engine made 503 HP at the wheels at 22psi boost, with a huge amount of low RPM tourqe. The GTX2860R turbochargers have 0.86 A/R turbine housings. Very happy with the result.

Engine management is Vipec i88

YouTube video of the car on the dyno.

YouTube video of the car at the drags where it
ran 11.9 @ 124 mph



The 2GR-FSE engine as it arrived from the car dismantler. To see how we made it into a 4L engine click here 4L 2GR-FSE engine build
Original gearbox mounts were move 50mm to the rear.
RA62 in place with new crossmember.
RA62 Gearbox size compared to the orignal TL70
Engine in place were it will live.
42mm aluminum plate before machining into the sump. 14.5 kg weight
After machining, the weight was 3.75 kg
Oil pan, with baffle
Sump finished and bolted to the engine.
Right hand engine mount.
Left hand engine mount.
Turbo manifolds and GTX2860R
Turbocharger dump pipe access.
Rear Mufflers
Resonator and catalytic converter
Engine pipes
Clearance around steering column
Heat sheild for fuel and brake lines
Rear of engine before final figment
Engine ready for gearbox
Fuel pump parts
Fuel pump assembled
ECU case parts
ECU case assembled, before finishing.
Inlet Manifold and Throttle Body Addded
King springs and shock absorbers. Springs were made so the car sits level with the heavier engine.
PWR Intercooler
Air ducting from turbocharger to intercooler.
Completed Intercooler
Conversion finished and back on its wheels.
To get the tacho and water temp gauges on the dash, power steering and air conditioner to work, we made a CAN bus interface. This takes CAN data from the Vipec i88 and sends it to the cars CAN bus. The data is converted into the correct format first.
With the power and torque the engine makes I found the original differential 4.1 ratio too low. The GT86 differential was replaced with the Lexus IS300 automatic differential. This is a direct bolt in and has a 3.583 ratio, and not 3.91 ratio that you will find written on many forums.