Ray Hall
Turbocharging

Turbocharger Facts
Free Software
TF Electronics
AutoSim

 

4L 2GR-FSE Engine Build

To increase the 2GR-FSE 3.5L engine size to 4L, the bore would need to be 96 mm and the stroke 92 mm. Below is how we achieved it.

Note:

After using this engine for a while the 1GR crankshaft was replaced with the 2GR to make the engine 3.6L. This was done as the engine had piston slap noise. I did not like this so made the change. The 3.6L engine made the same power at 22 psi boost.

 

  To get the required 96 mm bore, the block was sleeved using Nissan TD42 (four cylinder diesel) engine sleeves.
     
  Sleeves have a flange on top that is used for stopping the sleeves from moving. Original water bypass between bores is retained.
     
 

Pistons were made by Special Piston Services in Australia. The pin height is 1.1" (27.94 mm). The bowl in the pistion is 29 cc to give a 9.0:1 compression ratio.

The conrod is from the Lexus 1UZ-FE V8 engine.

     
  The big end of the 1UZ conrods are 2mm (0.080") wider then the 2GR-FSE. We machined the rods to the correct width. The small end does not need to be machined.
     
  To get the 4L engine size we needed a 92 mm stoke. We used the Toyota Hilux 4L 1GR-FE crankshaft and de-stroked it down to the 92 mm. This was possible as the 1GR-FE big ends are 3 mm bigger diameter. We offset ground them to get the required stroke.

The mains 1GR-FE are 72 mm. These were reduced the the 2GR-FSE 61 mm diameter.

The bolt pattern for the flywheel is a bigger diameter and so it the rear main seal. You can see this in the picture.
     
  Top crankshaft is the 1GR-FE after modifications to suit the 2GR-FSE block. The bottom is the stock 2GR-FSE. Only difference now is the bigger seal diameter.
     
 

To fix the bigger rear main seal problem, we made a new seal plate with the 2GR-FSE bolt pattern and a hole for the bigger 1GR-FE seal.

     
  1UZ-FE bearings are 19mm wide. As we machined the conrods 2 mm narrower we also machined the bearings narrower. They are now 16mm wide.
     
  The jig we used to machine the bearings narrower.
     
  Counter weights had flats cut on them to clear the bottom of the pistons. This caused balancing problems and Mallory metal was needed in the counter weights on both ends of the crank.
     
  Block assembled
     
  Crank turns and nothing hits..:-)
     
   
     
   
     
  Finished and ready to fit in the car.
     
 
2GR-FSE Flywheel was re-drilled to suit the bigger bolt pattern on the 1GR-FE crankshaft.